Heroes of Retrowave Heroes of Retrowave

That's actually pretty cool ! Dunno why it's so low-rated. :/

WIGMANN responds:

Someone gave 0 stars for this. Ruined the score

Dovax - Deep Jungle Dovax - Deep Jungle

I love that you managed to not make it repetitive, despite the drop synth being the same all along the track !
And I love the beginning ! =P

Dovax responds:

Yeah thanks the first drop is normal and the second one is triplets

Clème's Booty and Nanana Clème's Booty and Nanana

I ask.

etK responds:

Well this is Clème's Nanana and also her booty.

Leylines II Leylines II

Am I reviewing a legend's track ?

Melodies :
This piano and everything that goes with it from 0:00 to 0:26 is beyond perfect in term of melody. The arrangement is great : some synthesizers that make the ambiance in the background and another one which plays a foretaste of the melodies that are next to come are awesome. Then comes the "main" melody (I'll explain the brackets) played by the trembling synthesizer at 0:26. Some notes of this melody (0:37 and 0:55) are pretty ugly : I don't know why you did that, there's maybe an artistic motivation behind it that I didn't get. The low-velocity notes at 1:43 that we can barely hear are so good that it made me... hum... you know... =3
The only nitpick I could notice is that there's no real main melody. This is maybe what you intended, but I think it's a flaw. The goal is that you make the listener remember the main melody, or at least a kind of pattern or a recurrent sound. With none of those, I won't remember this track : it's not memorable. So you gotta insist on something that will make your track memorable : like when we hear the melody or the recurrent sound, we immediately think "oh that's Midimachine's Leylines II" !

Instruments :
Once again, I think it's an excellent arrangement and mixing from 0:00 to 0:26. Every single instrument sound so good ! That synthesizer at 0:26 was maybe a bit too trembling though, but I think it's just mostly my personal tastes so I won't judge on this. I really like your drums, especially when you make the kick play several times before unleashing another snare (like 1:20 or 1:42), a snare that is really satisfying by the way. I loved when those drums went completely mad at 2:52 to finish off this part ! The synthesizer that spices the track from 1:27 to 1:30 was very smooth.

Personality :
The transitions at 1:45 and 2:55 were pretty interesting, and I like how you started and finished the track with the same ambiant sounds ! You made the snare from 3:26 make an echoing (or reverbering - I dunno) sound : that's the kind of details I love !
Still this main melody problem I talked about in the "Melodies" part though.

Melodies : 1,5/2
Instruments : 2/2
Personality : 1/1

In overall, this is one of the best track I've reviewed so far ! Ur gr8 m8 !

midimachine responds:

ty for the detailed and thoughtful review
the ugly notes you mentioned were supposed to hint at a dominant 7 chord but then none of the other underlying harmonic devices do that so i think that's probably something to take care of next time!
i suppose that the melody at 2:20 (and before at 1:43 as you noticed) is the main theme. but i agree with you; there isn't a strong main melodic theme here and that can be a problem. then again, i also feel like sound design and tonality can be used thematically BUT you need some frame of reference for that to work and i don't think i've provided that sufficiently.

anyway ty again. peace!

Mysterious Presence - Genocide (Dovax Remix) Mysterious Presence - Genocide (Dovax Remix)

This was so satisfying to listen to !

And u kno the Dream remx is comng :3

Dovax responds:

Im waiting for it :D

Xtrullor - Fluorescent Forests (feat. Albert Hyrönen) Xtrullor - Fluorescent Forests (feat. Albert Hyrönen)

Whoa friend you're producing fast !
And this is beyond awesome !
You definitely have to go to Hollywood and produce soundtracks while spreading that awesome philosophy !

(by the way, I analyzed a bit your thoughts and I think philosopher Jacques Derrida may interest you, you outta take a quick look =D)

Walk by the Seaside Walk by the Seaside

Second music and yet so much details !
Aaaaah

Orgasm

AWildCard responds:

Thanks man ! Happy you enjoyed it

Okay Okay

Well I'm not into metal, but I'll try anyway ! =3

Melodies :
The good thing is you managed to create various and complex melodies, with multiple variations ! You have creativity on this point. I like how you turned a rather "peaceful" melody (0:00) into something hardcore (0:24).
But I don't like them. Your legitimate reaction would be wondering why I'm taking off half a star for something entirely subjective. Well if I don't like them, there's a reason. I, probably, wouldn't be the only one to dislike the melodies : this is because they lack in identity. What does that mean ? Well it's like you put notes together without really knowing where you were going. It doesn't really has a sense. Consequence : we forget the melody, it's actually not... "good" enough.
When you write a melody, I may be wrong (tell me if so), but you're supposed to seek for beauty or epicness, and I can't feel any of these. I don't pretend to be a good artist or something like that, but I think my solid point is my melodies. Try to take a look to see how you're supposed to write something memorable (Atomic's melody is maybe my best one, go and see, then become a God).

Instruments :
0:24 and 1:55 : omagad this is too much left-panned !
Apart from that, perfect. Both calm (0:00 and 2:57) and heavy guitar sounds really good, thanks to that awesome cocooning bass. I love what you did with the drums (0:35, 1:06 : oh wow gah orgasm). The panning is great too, for example at the whole beginning, when you switch the pans (0:11), it flows really well.
Well there's not a lot of instrument so I can't tell much, but it's really nice mate.

Personality :
I love how you reused 0:23's structure at 1:55. It's very interesting. And the title is great ! X)
Apart from that, unfortunately, like I said earlier, due to those unmemorable melodies, well it's not incredible. I don't like to say that because I can feel the amount of work you put into this, but it drowns into every other song without being able to distinguish itself. You need to find a proper melody and it'll be awesome !

Melodies : 1,5/2
Instruments : 2/2
Personality : 0,5/1

Apart from this melody problem, it's really great mate ! By the way I'm strict in the review's score because the aim is to make the artist progress, but of course, in overall, it's worth a 5 friend (that's why I rated 5 in the song's score). Just take a look, as I suggested, at my melodies (it's not advertising, I'm serious toward the quality of them - even if I'm totally bragging) and you'll make awesome tracks !
Much love. <3

Ragekaje responds:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that you took the time to dive deep into each part of the song and its how it affects the listener! Some of my friends have told me the same thing about my "melodies" so they are definitely something I'll put some hard practice into.

I'm glad you brought up the panning. I never thought of the loud guitars being panned too much but you are right. I can definitely see how the quiet parts are easier on the listener, but the loud guitar definitely should have but just panned slightly until the other one came in.

I am not a drummer. (at least not a good one) I'm just happy they didn't get the red pen all over them!

Again, thank you for the advice! I will definitely check out your music and see what I can learn and if I can give you any help.

.:Dinosaurs (WIP):. .:Dinosaurs (WIP):.

Hello friend ! =3

Melodies :
Now I know you're capable of making melodies, I heard one in This Is The End, so you ought to add one to your track. I'm sorry but there is just none. There's a sound effect, and then there's the dubstep moment, but the non-dubstep parts in dubstep musics are meant to be for melodies. You should work on one, that will remain Dinosaurs' melody.

Instruments :
The sound effect at the beginning is great mate, but it's played too many times. It's like you found a cool effect, and you wanted to show us how great it is for 28 seconds. Both your kick and your snare are too weak, you should higher their volume. The transition with the voice at 0:28 seems inappropriate : it's about dinosaurs, there can't be humans. Your mixing is okay, but try to vary your dubstep effects.

Personality :
The track suffers from a lack of melodies and of variations. Without melodies, the track looses a huge part of what it should be, because melodies are maybe the most important things in music. Without a melody, we can't remember this track forever, and this is what you should be aiming for.

Melodies : 0/2
Instruments : 1/2
Personality : 0/1

Sorry for the low score, I'm really not trying to make you angry, just trying to help ! I'm sure you'll continue progressing. =)

BlueAlpha14 responds:

I'm guessing you haven't heard much riddim/darkstep? Some of it does lack melody. I am capable of a melody, yes. But this type of music doesn't use much of one.

Where did you hear a sound effect at the beginning? That's a bass instrument and sub bass lol.

I thought I should've brought the volume up on the drums but every time I raise them I get feedback saying it's not necessary for them to be loud and when I lower them I get feedback saying they need to be louder. I guess I'll need to play around with the mixer.

Sound bytes usually have nothing to do with the title of the song. If you listen to brostep as much as I, you would realize they're polar opposites of one another. There could be humans, Jurassic Park? XD I could add a dinosaur clip on the second transition, I'll just have to find one.

For the sake of your feedback, I'll at least try a melody or chords.

Thanks for the feedback though, it's always helpful to get mixed opinions.

Xtrullor - Jnana Xtrullor - Jnana